Tuesday 17 January 2023

Why I use humour as a defence mechanism

 Humour has always been my go-to defence mechanism, a way to deal with tough situations and emotions. It's like a superpower that I've always had, the ability to make people laugh and lighten the mood, even in the darkest of times. 

But it wasn't until recently that I really started to understand how powerful it can be as a coping mechanism, especially when it comes to anxiety. Growing up, I struggled with anxiety and found it difficult to make friends and fit in. Humour was a way for me to connect with others and to express myself. It was a way to break the ice and to start a conversation. 

As I got older, my anxiety didn't go away, it just manifested itself in different ways. But through it all, humour was always a constant for me. It was a way to cope with the anxiety and to make sense of the world around me. 

Recently, I've been working with a therapist who specializes in anxiety and I've been learning about different coping mechanisms. But I've also come to realize that humour will always be a part of who I am and it will always be a valuable tool for me to cope with anxiety. 

Using humor as a defense mechanism is not just about telling jokes and making people laugh, but it's about using it as a tool to cope with anxiety and to make sense of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment