Sunday 26 February 2023

Autistic Stimming essay

 Stimming is something that's very personal to me as someone with autism. It's the little movements that I make that help me feel calm and focused. Things like rocking back and forth, tapping my fingers, or making odd little noises. These little motions can make such a big difference in how I feel.


For a long time, I didn't know what stimming was or that it was a common trait among autistic people. I just thought that I was weird or that something was wrong with me. So, I tried to suppress my stimming behavior, thinking it would make me more "normal". But the truth is, suppressing my stimming was really harmful to my mental health. It was like trying to hold back a sneeze, and it only made me feel more anxious and overwhelmed.


It wasn't until I learned more about autism and stimming that I realized how important it is to accept this behavior. Stimming is a natural part of who I am, and it's something that helps me regulate my emotions and sensory input. It's a coping mechanism that helps me feel safe and in control.


It's not always easy, though. Sometimes people can be judgemental or misunderstand my stimming behavior. They might think I'm being weird or rude, when really I'm just trying to stay calm and focused. That's why it's so important to educate others about stimming and autism. When people understand why I stim, they're usually more accepting and supportive.


It's been a long journey, but I'm learning to accept and even appreciate my stimming behavior. It's a reminder that I'm different, but that's okay. In fact, it's something to celebrate. Stimming is a part of my identity as an autistic person, and it's just one of the many things that makes me who I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment